Sedan Chair for sale
An Avignon ‘top of the range’ Sedan Chair (chaise a porteur) fashion c. 1762-5 with gilt painted borders. Possibly built by Duvernoy, son of Avignon
Description: Full gilded sculptures to the original exterior woodwork, with colour paintings of the four seasons to principle exterior panels, lined in original deep blue velour with a single remaining silk roller blind.
- front door panel representing winter – possibly an 18th c. interpretation of Asklepios, a Greek divine healer or miracle working physician – together with cherub.
- left-hand side central panel representing spring – seated mother with two infants, garlands and bunches of flowers.
- rear-upper panel representing summer — a mother directing the harvest with two infants one gathering a sheaf of wheat the other holding a sheaf of wheat.
- right-hand side central panel representing autumn – a seated mother with infant, peaches, pitcher of wine, basket of bread.
- lower-rear panel – a romancing couple in a pastoral setting, blue grisaille (monochrome) work.
- seated man with paddle representing the River Rhone the other a woman with paddle representing the River Saone.
- upper side panels: pairs of cupids one with garlands of flowers the other side with a sceptre.
- lower wooden panels – Provencal views.
Interior: Blue comb cartisane fringes with taffetta, glass pull strings together with brass window position stops, seat cushion and valance period but deep purple, Iron 90 degree braces to lower side floor cut in to improve integrity. Original leather covering to floor. Front door whole class replaced, side glasses probably original – but crazed with age and sunlight.
Complete – apart from chairmen’s straps, poles, and two missing roller blinds.
Dimensions: tall 68 inches (173 cms), deep 39 inches (100 cms), broad 33 inches (84 cms)
Provenance: Sold in Toulouse 1979, latterly from Monte Carlo.
Price: £15,500. A unique opportunity to own the only known survivng Louis XV sedan chair with fully ornamented borders, in private hands together with its original interior (the other three being in museum collections).
Present Location: Viewable in Gloucester.
For further information, call +44 (0)1452 699606 .